- Why join the Mooney Caravan?
- The original purpose of the Mooney Caravan was to ensure that a group of friends could camp together in the famous North 40 at AirVenture Oshkosh. The only way to ensure a group of airplanes will be parked together and therefore able to camp together at Oshkosh, is to arrive together. The Mooney Caravan formation arrival ensures that we are all parked together in the North 40 and are able to camp as a group. The Mooney Caravan has, over the years, become much more. It's a wonderful way to arrive at Oshkosh, but it's also a way to improve pilot skills, it's camaraderie throughout the year at clinics and other events. Getting together for informal formation practice with other Caravan pilots is more fun than the traditional $100 hamburgers and a wonderful way to maintain pilot proficiency.
- Is the Caravan arrival any more difficult/complex/involved, than the Fisk arrival solo?
- Most Caravan pilots agree that the Caravan formation arrival is much easier/simpler than flying the usual Fisk arrival into Oshkosh.
- Can I fly my M20A... or my M20TN in the Caravan arrival? What aircraft are allowed to fly with the Caravan arrival?
- All Mooney aircraft are welcome in the Caravan arrival. The Caravan flight leaders ensure that like aircraft are grouped into Elements. The Standard Operating Procedures for the Mooney Caravan including speeds, climb rate, distance, etc. are well within the flight capabilities of all Mooney Aircraft.
- What is the time commitment to participate in the Mooney Caravan?
- All Caravan participants must arrive in Madison, WI on Saturday July 23. Required Caravan activities end after the group debrief at the Caravan Tent in the North 40, Oshkosh on Sunday afternoon.
- What does the Mooney Caravan slogan "Nimis brevis vita est volare tarde" mean?
- Life is too short to fly slowly.
- Does the Caravan provide, or does the Caravan fee include Camping at Oshkosh or tickets to AirVenture?
- No... Tickets to AirVenture can be purchased at Oshkosh after the arrival or prior from the EAA online. Camping passes are purchased at Oshkosh after the arrival.
- What are the prerequisites for participation in the Mooney Caravan?
- All new Caravan pilots must
attend and qualify each and every year at a Formation clinic. Clinics can include the Mooney Caravan, B2OSH, or
Cherokees to OSH. Also FAST or FFI card holders can qualify. Please see the
training page for clinics running in your area.
- What is the deadline for registration?
- All Caravan Pilots must be registered by June 30, 2016.
- Can I get a refund?
- The registration fee is NOT refundable unless the organizers decline to allow participation in the Caravan.
- Can I register for the Caravan prior to attending a clinic?
- Yes. Note on the Registration where you plan on getting formation qualified. Do not plan on getting formation qualified in KMSN on Saturday before the departure.
- What time must I arrive at KMSN?
- It is strongly suggested that you arrive no
later than mid-day Saturday. Earlier, if possible. Your element leader will want to take
their flight up for a practice flight on Saturday. Many folks arrive on Friday from parts
around the country. This not only
gives a buffer of time for weather issues, but allows for fellowship and
group activities that develop. We
have created a tradition of a Saturday morning “Dawn Patrol” special ops
mission. Many participate in
this. See the schedule on the web
- Is there a ramp fee at KMSN?
- Where do I park at KMSN?
- In your designated/assigned parking slot in
the Mooney Caravan Ramp on the Wisconsin Aviation tarmac.
accommodations, ground transportation, meals, etc. at KMSN?
- This year will be the second year at the
Holiday Inn, just a few miles from the airport. We have arranged discounted rates. We have a Mooney Caravan vehicle, as
well as the hotel shuttle van on demand.
For our group dinner Saturday night, we have arranged a bus for all
of us to go in-mass. For Friday, we
have typically had smaller groups go to restaruants within walking
distance and/or taxi to a place TBD.
Lunches are usually at the airport café in the FBO.
- Should I bring my kids? Is the Caravan family friendly?
- Yes, kids are always a welcome part of the Caravan. Several Caravan kids have attended Oshkosh many times.
- Can I bring my pet?
- No, AirVenture and Oshkosh does not allow pets at the event or in the North 40 camping area.
- How is Formation proficiency verified?
- On the website in the Lead and Safety Pilot section are wingman and lead proficiency
logs. It is suggested that you use
this in your basic training or proficiency/currency flights and have your
safety pilot(s) log you proficiency.
The Flight Operations section reviews all participants training and
may contact your safety pilot(s) if verification is needed.
- What happens if the weather on Sunday is IFR? What are
the IFR minimums for the Caravan?
- Flight safety is the most important
consideration for the Mooney Caravan.
We have established Go-No Go parameters on ceilings, visibility,
wind speed and direction. The
mission will be put on hold if the safety parameters are not met. The Caravan leader is in contact with
OSH ATC and will have a back-up launch time when conditions improve. Delays and holds will be covered in the
mass formation briefing. Do not
leave the staging area if there is a weather delay unless the mission is
- Do I have to camp on the field if I arrive with the
- 95% of Caravan pilots camp. This was the foundation for the start of
the Caravan. It is well recognized
that the Mooney gets you to Oshkosh, but the people bring you back. Strong friendships are formed from the
North 40 camping experience. Give
it a try. But, rarely, some folks
need a hotel due to health issues or other consideration. We do have a large tent shelter with
power. See the camping section for
- Do I have to pay for camping if I just park with the
group but don't camp?
- Yes, this is an EAA requirement.
- May I request a specific Element?
- You can request elements, but the composition
of the elements is a function of Flight Ops. As there are various levels of pilot
experience, aircraft performance, and operational considerations, the
Flight Ops section arranges all flight elements to fit together for
maximum safety and performance considerations. The purpose of standardization of
formation pilots is so that any pilot can safely and effectively fly with
any other pilot no matter where they trained or who they usually fly
- How are Flight Leaders chosen?
- This is a function of the Flight Operations
Section. Leads are previous Mooney
Caravan participants, have advanced training and practice and have greater
responsibility for administrative duties.
- How do I become an Element Lead?
- For those with multiple Mooney Caravan arrivals in their log books, the question is often asked, "How do I become an Element Lead?" Larry 'Joker' Brennan - Money Caravan Vice President and Oshkosh Arrival veteran, answers this question in a great blog post on the Lead and Safety Pilots Page.
- Will it be ok to taxi and park my Mooney on the grass?
- Yes, this will be the 18th year of
multiple Mooney aircraft doing this.
Taxi slowly, do not let the aircraft start to “bounce”. Taxi with full aft trim and full up
stick. Suggest your co-pilot slide
their seat full aft to get CG towards the tail. Remember on departure to return your
trim to T.O. position!
- I haven't camped in years, any tips for camping at OSH?
- I own a Canadian registered aircraft and wonder if we can take part in the Caravan?
- We do have several Canadian aircrafts taking part in the Caravan. As long as all the requirements are met, Canadian Mooneys are welcome.
- I do not see any clinic scheduled in Canada, what are my option to acquire proper training?
- Canadian aircraft can attend US clinics. A small group of Mooney owners near Ottawa do run some unadvertized formation training practices and with sufficient interest will conduct some traqining sessions to prepare for the Caravan. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Who can I call or email with additional questions that haven't been answered here?
- The About Us page has email addresses for the Mooney Caravan Leadership team.